Read this insightful article by Nelson Lichtenstein who is a research professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Jane McAlevey of the UC Berkeley Labor Center Talks About Recent Labor Strikes & Lessons from the Past to Move Us Forward
Another 7 minute video describing the reasons for the recent strikes, lessons from the past, and what it took and will take to get to a more just society.
In 1948, after WWII in San Francisco, world leaders under the leadership of Eleanor Roosevelt created the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which includes: “Article 24: Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.” Enjoy your right to rest! It is critical to restoring and healing ourselves.
Sadly, Twin Hills teachers might have to strike at the beginning of the next school year due to unacceptable wages and healthcare that prevent us from recruiting and retaining the best educators for our students.
This situation comes after you all helped our Forestville elementary and West Sonoma County high school teachers successfully improve their contracts with strikes in 2019. Since the negotiations of our teachers in Twin Hills will impact all other contract negotiations in Sonoma County, we must all work together to ensure their success. Therefore, we are asking every educator in Sonoma County to commit to the following solidarity actions in support of the Twin Hills teachers:
- Read, print out, and share the attached flyer with others, including your social networks online.
- Print out the attached “We Stand With the Twin Hills Teachers” sign and place it in your car, home window, yard, business, etc.
- Regularly visit the Twin Hills Teachers Association Facebook Page and help us share all THTA postings with your social media networks.
- Take five minutes and call the Twin Hills Union School District school board members to urge them to “Give the Twin Hills teachers a fair contract now!”
- Terry Beck, President: (707) 829-0314
- Michael Ost, Clerk: (707) 829-1945
- John Moise: (707) 823-3971
- Mike Fanning: (707) 293-4111
- Melissa Bechtel: (707) 484-3364
- Please take another few minutes to email the Twin Hills Union School District school board members to demand a fair contract now for our teachers. Below are their email addresses:
Thank you for your solidarity!
Twin Hills Teachers Association
Dear CTA Members,
You are invited to the CTA Cordelia Regional Resource Center’s, virtual “RETIREMENT WORKSHOP”, on Tuesday, October 26, 2021 from 4:30PM-6:30PM.
This workshop is designed for all educators, regardless of where you are in your career. Topics to be discussed include:
- STRS – Overview of The System and How It Works
- Social Security – Effects on Teachers
- Current Legislative and Political Issues